This week we have one of my favorite restaurants on the Big island Kens House of Pancakes. If youʻve been to Hilo you probably had a meal there at least once. Its iconic to Hawaii and you cant missed it right near Banyan Drive. It is open 24hrs a day serving up the best local food. Iʻve had many bowls of saimin at Kens and of course their famous pancakes. This week Jenifer Iwasaki joins us in the kitchen sharing some of the classics. Todays its their recipe for furikake crusted fish with mountain apple sea asparagus salad.
- ¼ C Mountain Apples – diced
- 4 oz Sea Asparagus
- 2 T Kamaboko – diced
- ¼ C White Onions – thinly sliced
- ¼ C Red Onions – thinly sliced
- 1 clove Garlic – minced
- 1 tsp Chili Pepper Water
- 2 tsp Sesame Oil
- ½ tsp Patis
- ½ tsp Shoyu
- Green Onions
- Sesame Seeds
- Blanch Sea Asparagus in boiling water – 1 min; Shock in ice water; Drain – Gently squeeze excess water; Rough chop.
- Combine all ingredients together; Mix and let sit in fridge to marinate while prepping fish.
- (3) 3 oz Pieces of Fresh Fish (Ahi, Ono, Mahi)
- ¼ C Flour
- 2 Eggs – beaten
- 1 C Panko (mix with furikake)
- ½ C Furikake (mix with Panko)
- Coat fish in flour, then egg, then Panko/furikake mix.
- Heat 2 T vegetable (or canola) oil in frying pan. Cook fish until golden brown (1-2 min each side).
- Lay cooked fish on plate; Top w/ Mountain apple-sea asparagus salad; Garnish w/ green onion and sesame seeds.
Times Is The Exclusive Supermarket Partner Of:
Every Monday At 7:30pm on Spectrum OC16
For More Recipes Like This. Go To www.cookinghawaiianstyle.com