Mehanaokala Hind is the Community Engagement Director for the Office of Hawaiian Affairs. A graduate of Moanalua High School, Mehana attended Honolulu Community College before getting her B.A. and M.A. degrees from the University of Hawaii at Manoa. She is a kumu hula and cultural practitioner skilled in hula, oli (chant), and ritual.
She descends from the hula lineage of Kumu Hula Leina‘ala Kalama Heine, earning the rank of Kumu Hula in 2009 upon completion of ‘uniki rites. She trained in mele oli with the late Kumu Keola Lake, Kumu Hokulani Holt, and Kumu Pualani Kanahele. Recently, she showed us a side not often revealed, her culinary skills. Here is her recipe for Olena Fried Rice.
- Add oil to wok on medium heat
- Cut garlic add to wok
- Cut carrots, white & green onions and brocoli and add to wok
- Cut mushrooms in 1/2, keeping it in large pieces, add to wok
- Add butter to wok, continue stiring
- Add cooked rice and cook for another minute, stirring well
- Add Coconut milk and olena
- Cook for another minute while stirring.
- Serve hot.
Copyright ©2020 Ryan Sakamoto. All Rights Reserved.